Monday, November 19, 2007

A Poet Among Us...


I want to share this with people who read the blog. This poem was written by Yvonne Rodriguez. I had no idea that she wrote poems...pretty good from my perspective!

A SEASON TO BE THANKFUL

We share our laughs, we share our smiles.
We gather our thoughts, when we run those long miles.
We are all runners, and different in each and every way.
So hear my words and thoughts, for why I now pray.
This season is now over, the one and only that I will never forget.
At least now I can leave and not have any regrets.
I’m so thankful to have met each and every one of you.
Why this season turned out this way, no one knew.
Even though we tried to do the damn thing.
I hope you all know that I will always carry you all, under my wings.
We pushed each other and cheered others on.
It’s sad to say that it’s all gone.
I now pray to hold the good memories, and pray we will still be strong.
But wait I have one more thing to add, this won’t be long.
You all don’t know how thankful I am to be here.
Just thinking about it brings a teer.
There are so many things to say.
But maybe this could wait another day.
Please remember that everything happens for a reason.
And I hope to be seeing you all next season.
So share your thoughts to family and friends, and always remember to thank the Lord.
After all, this is the season to be thankful, so Happy Thanksgiving Incarnate Word.

-Yvonne

UIW is closed this week from Wednesday-Friday for Thanksgiving holiday. The distance runners are off this week as we transition to the track base building phase. We just finished two weeks of good base building as an active recovery transition from the cross country season.

Track practice is going well. We only have one day of practice this week - today as we give everyong time to travel home and spend time with family.

Here is our preliminary 2008 track schedule:

Date Meet Location

February
1, 2 Houston Indoor Invite Houston

16 UH All-Comers Meet Houston

23 Trinity Invitational San Antonio


March
1 Border Olympics Laredo

7 Texas State Invitational San Marcos

14, 15 Indoor Nationals Mankato, MN

22 UT Invitational Austin

28, 29 Victor Lopez – Rice Univ. Houston


April
3, 4, 5 Texas Relays Austin

19 UT Twilight Austin

25 Rice Twilight Houston


May
9 ACU Last Chance Meet Abilene

22, 23, 24 Outdoor Nationals California

Some things might change in the next few weeks as I wait approval from certain meets. This should be the schedule for the spring.

Until next time...