Saturday, October 6, 2007

MVR's for the week...err...the last month!


Alright, I know, I know, I have fallen behind. I know how much you crave the UIW MVR each week. It just doesn't feel the same when you don't have those UIW runner of the weeks. Well, I feel your pain, so here it is...

Men: Since it has been a while, I want to briefly talk about 3 guys. Shayn Weidner, Adrian Carrillo and Jeremy Juarez - my three work horses. Simply said, the work horses are the ones that stand out when the work is being done. If you aren't a lunch pail guy/girl you won't get the work done. Cross Country isn't a sport for pretty boys or girls. Shayn keeps willing himself to get better - what else can you say. Adrian very seldomly sleeps well but still finds a way to focus long enough to knock out a great workout. Jeremy, Jeremy. I have never seen someone fall down so much while running! Two weeks ago, Jeremy goes out for his warm-up prior to a Quality day (speed workout) only to slip on a wet curb at Trinity and scrape the whole side of his leg! He comes over to the track with blood all over his shorts. When I ask him why he is limping and why there is blood on his shorts and skin missing from his knee he responds "Oh, I fell again during the warm up." My respone "Gosh darnet Jeremy, you need to get some shoes with better grip on them...go to the training room and get fixed up." Then, Jeremy says "Nah coach, I will walk it off."

Only a extremely driven individual would then be able to knock off 7 x 1000m @ and average of 3:01-3:03 w/ 3 minutes rest and then limp off to the cool down. Wow...enough said. And you wonder why he is improving.

Women: Yvonne is the heart and emotional leader of the women's team. It is no surprise that her strong speed work would start to pay off - as evidence in her 17:45. Yvonne's consistancy drives the rest of the women each and every day. All it takes is a stern talking to from Yvonne to get the girls back on the right track. Thanks for stepping out on a limb Rodriguez.

Honorable mention: Sometimes, the quiet often get overlooked. Well, this time, you aren't overlooked Melissa. Keep working hard and you are going to see results - much like today.